Gradings are taking place on 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th and 25th July 2021.
There will be no normal lessons on these dates. If you are not grading on these days you will not be charged on these days and your lesson fees will carryover to the next lesson.
Everyone grading should of received a time slot to grade. Please do not be late as have a very tight schedule to fit everyone in. If you are late will will have to turn the student away.
- THE SHOTOKAN OFFICIAL MINIMUM OF LESSONS TO GRADE BETWEEN EACH GRADING
YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS WHICH IS TAUGHT AT EACH CLASS
- MOST STUDENTS ARE CAPABLE OF ACHIEVING THEIR NEXT HALF OR FULL COLOURED BELT ON THE DAY IF THEY HAVE STUDIED HARD IN CLASS, BUT THERE IS ALSO A CHANCE TO DOUBLE GRADE IF THEY COMPLETE THEIR FULL SYLLABUS ON THE GRADING DAY, THERE ARE OTHER HIGHER STAGES OR GRADES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST BUT THERE IS A STRICT REGIME AND IT WOULD HAVE TO BE AGREED WITH THE CHIEF SENSEI FIRST. (THIS ENABLES THE STUDENT TO GET A HIGHER GRADE QUICKER WITH A LITTLE EXTRA HARD WORK …BUT ONLY IF THE STUDENT AND CHIEF SENSEI BELIEVE THEY ARE READY )
- FULL UNIFORM MUST BE WORN WITH CLUB BADGE AND MITTS.
- YOU MUST HAVE AN UP TO DATE LICENCE.
- ALL FEES TO BE IN BY THE WEEK BEFORE THE GRADING.
- A FREE BELT AND CERTIFICATE ARE INCLUDED FOR EVERY STUDENT THAT PASSES THEIR GRADE .
- THE CHIEF INSTRUCTORS DECISION IS FINAL AND THE DECISION MADE ON THE DAY OF THE GRADING RESULT CANNOT BE CHANGED. YOU CAN TRY AGAIN AT THE NEXT GRADING.
- AT THE END OF THE GRADING THERE WILL BE A PRESENTATION CEREMONY, EACH STUDENT THAT PASSES WILL BE PRESENTED WITH A NEW COLOUR BELT AND CERTIFICATE.
The next Dan gradings TBA
ALL 1ST KYU’S AND 1ST DANS WILL TAKE A WRITTEN TEST ON THE PRECEPTS, DOJO KUN AND GICHIN FUNAKOSHI. (IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THIS INFORMATION PLEASE LET SHIHAN CHRIS KNOW ASAP) THEN THIS WILL LEAD INTO THE GRADING (THIS WILL BE RECORDED) THE RESULTS FOR 1ST DAN STUDENTS WILL NOT BE GIVEN ON THE DAY.
Please speak to your instructors for further details.
PLEASE SEE YOUR INSTRUCTOR FOR COMPLETION OF GRADING FORMS.
ALL STUDENTS FROM ORANGE BELT MUST HAVE AN UP TO DATE LICENCE AND INSURANCE TO GRADE AND HAVE A MINIMUM OF 20 OFFICIAL LESSONS BETWEEN EACH GRADING. PLEASE CHECK THE BACK OF YOUR LICENCE FOR YOUR INSURANCE EXPIRY DATE. NEW BEGINNERS WILL NEED TO APPLY FOR A LICENCE AND INSURANCE AND HAVE A MINIMUM OF 12 OFFICIAL SJK LESSONS TO TRY FOR YOUR 10TH KYU (WHITE WITH ORANGE STRIPE) OR 20 OFFICIAL LESSONS TO ATTEMPT 9TH KYU (ORANGE).
Requests for Dan grading must be made in writing to Sensei Christine and must have a minimum of 9 months regular training (60 lessons minimum) and knowledge of Gichin Funakoshi, the Precepts Dojo Etiquette and Dojo Kun and be assessed by Sensei Christine.
The following shows the minimum period of time it takes to reach the various different Dan levels including the late Shihan David’s level of 7th Dan:
3 years to reach Black Belt 1st Dan (After 3 years)
2 more years to reach 2nd Dan (After 5 years)
3 more years to reach 3rd Dan (After 8 years)
4 more years to reach 4th Dan (After 12 years)
5 more years to reach 5th Dan (After 17 years)
6 more years to reach 6th Dan (After 23 years)
7 more years to reach 7th Dan (After 30 years)
At least 30 years of training and teaching are required to reach the grade of 7th Dan. This means Sensei David has been awarded Seven Blacks in Karate and one in Ju-Jitsu making a total of eight Black belts. (or 8 Dan gradings)